Saturday, July 19, 2003

Well, I have validation for my life on the web! A complete stranger left me a comment. It's great. But now I feel bad for not more completely describing the shows in my Cornerstone Concert Log. Maybe I'll get around to it. Right now it's late, although Lateralus is helping keep me up. At the very least I need to explain that Saturday at C-Stone was a big day of "firsts" for me. Heather and I only truly went to ONE concert that day, I have never gone to only one concert on a full day of C-Stone.

Well, Friday night (technically Saturday morning) my wallet was stolen from the changing room in the showers. I've never had my wallet stolen. I checked at the lost and found a couple times on Saturday and eventually it showed-up, with no money in it of course, but it was only about $20.

Saturday morning, as Heather and and I were walking to C-Stone midway, we saw a couple of boys (about 13 or 14) riding downhill towards us and a few other people. They were moving FAST. Well one boy hits the breaks and completely wipes-out right in front of me, a pretty serious tumble. A few more feet and he would have hit me . . . it may have been better if he did. Me, Heather and two other guys lean in to help him. I ask if he is ok. He says, "Yeah, but my arm's not." Then he stands up and his wrist is completely dislocated! He says, "Oh that's not good." Understatement. The kid was in shock. I was surprised his forearm bone wasn't poking through the skin. Yeah, it was gross. I was a little paralyzed when I first saw the injury. I had never seen someone seriously injured in front of my face before. Well, the other kid goes to the get the injured kid's dad, a guy nearby picks up the kid's bike, and we all walk to the Medical trailer. The guy with the bike was smart, he kept the kid talking about where he was from and other stuff so the kid wouldn't focus on the pain in his arm. I was pretty freaked out. The guy with the bike took the kid into the first aid station and Heather and I moved on. I walked CAREFULLY for a couple of hours after.

Anyway, that afternoon the beach was closed because a drowned body was found! We didn't find out the details until later, but at the time Heather and I only saw ambulances and police cars arrive, and a line of people in the water, searching from the shore to about 75 feet or so into the water. There were reserve swimmers in the shallows following along to relieve those who got tired. As we later found out, no one else was missing, but the searchers were organized just to make certain. The person who was found was a 23 year-old boy. Here is the link for more info. That was a first as well. I was relieved to find out that no one else was still missing.

These events were all very depressing, but that night ... as Heather and I were on our way to watch Spirited Away at the imaginarium (we had already rented it but we loved it so much we went for the big screen), we passed by the tent where Madison Greene was playing. They were TEARIN' IT UP!! I have never seen so many people dancing at once. The band uses so many diverse and ethnic instruments while maintaining a coursing, driving drum sound. The whole experience was truly worshipful; God-focused. I love modern Christian hippies. The dancers spilled out of the tent and into Cornerstone Midway. I wish I had not felt so tired or I would have busted some moves. But it's ok cause I busted plenty of moves at Living Sacrifice;o)

Lastly, after the Living Sacrifice show, Heather and I stopped by the Asylum (the Goth tent) which we had not done yet, to get some iced tea and coffee. Goth is probably the subculture with the fewest Christians, but those who come to C-Stone do so in all their glory! Anyway, Heather and I walked back to our camp site. We knew that during the LS show there had been a powerful wind and lightning storm. And at our site, the evidence was clear. Of our two canopies, one and been ripped from the ground (all of the metal poles were bent) and hurled over Heather's car and about 40 feet of ground to land on someone's van! Our nice nieghbors gathered it up and piled it up by our site. The other canopy was roughly still in place, but it was crippled. It was as if half of it ripped free of the ground and half didn't (all of the poles were again bent). Every light item under the canopies had been blown up against or under Heather car, so we didn't lose much. Another neighbor had a destroyed canopy too, but not as bad as ours. We left it all alone and took pictures once daylight came. I thank God that storm waited till the last day.

Alright, thats enough story-telling for now. I'm going to go read some more of Counter-Clock World by Philip K. Dick. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home