Sunday, September 04, 2005

Last Thursday was an important day for me. Well, it was Thursday night/Friday morning. But I connected with new people in a way that I haven't in a very long time. Plus, I got to be part of an open mic crew that warmed-up the crowd for Mike McGee, and then later just hang-out and have some down-to-earth conversations with him and some friends . . . new friends! Do you know how long it has been since Heather and I have made new friends? Not simply aquaintances, but friends? Too long.

And then on Friday I wrote more than I've written in weeks, at least as far starting and crafting is concerned. I wrote a full poem on Monday, but I felt like I was forcing myself. Friday was a day of writing inspiration. I laid down on the couch while Heather cooked dinner (I felt like an asshole for not helping her, but I was crashing hard and needed a power nap. I'm definately sick with something, I just hope I haven't gotten Heather's Mono), and I couldn't fully fall asleep. On that edge of sleep, I heard lines rise up into my mind. Some ran together, forming stanzas, even pages. Some stood alone, singularly representing somethings that I would create from them. I couldn't rouse myself enough to put it all down, but after dinner I sat and tried to draw them out of me again. I'm pleased with what I got, but I wish I had retained more. I just try to remind myself that God is faithful in a multitude of ways, and the missed lines will return.

And then last night Heather and I had amazing sex. It was what goodbye sex should be, even though it is only goodbye for a week.
She is going to Yale for a week to do research for her master's thesis. The writer she is studying is so obscure that she has to go to where he taught 90 years ago in order to find more than half of his work. But, she truly believes that William Henry Bishop is an author who has, for the most part, fallen through the cracks of history, and is a very important author of his time. I love to see her so excited over this. Especially since she is going to have to work her ass off.

. . .

We also recieved an anonymous $300 in the mail. We feel awkard about it, but we really freaking need it. It came with the Blue Day Book, a silly but cute book, with great pictures, about cheering yourself up.

So many people have been generous to us. God is keeping us afloat from moment to moment, one little bit at a time. I suppose that's the way it always is, but we but don't realize it when we think we have so much, and simply take our lives for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home