Tuesday, July 29, 2003

I think most people have hardcore and metal music all wrong. They think it is about rage, but they are incorrect. It is about intensity! I have seen people dance-mosh to hardcore with huge smiles on their faces. Through the screams and yells of hardcore vocals I have heard words of introspection, love, joy, and praise. This music is about utilizing an intense form of sound and songwriting. It's about energy. Admittedly, there are also songs of pain, sadness, frustration and rage. But anger in itself is not sinful or dangerous. There are bands, however, who use rage as their sole motivation, and this is unhealthy. So you have my two-cent defense of my favorite music genre.

Anyway, in other narcissistic news:
The willingness to let myself write poetry again has yet to surface. It has been gone for over a year. If it returns, does that mean I am finally healed from that five-month or so period when it felt like the shadow of death was over me? Have I simply been afraid to let life touch me? When I try to write, I feel foolish . . . like this is a waste of my time, like I'm trying to fulfill a useless fantasy. But I have written good poetry in the past. Not great poetry, but good poetry. Where is that now? Am I simply unable to write about life because I'm not living much of one? . . . No. It's a desire issue. I just don't seem to care anymore. There are too many people speaking and not enough listening. Maybe I just feel like listening for awhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home