Thursday, October 16, 2003

True Christians (Biblical-Inerrancy Christians) believe that this world is fallen; that the inherent nature of humankind is evil. Not that non-christians can't do beautiful things or cannot glorify the God who created them, but that the absolute zero to which we all return is sinfulness. And I believe this. I believe it with all my heart. And a great reinforcement to that belief is the existence of the Red Sox.
Now, don't misunderstand. I am a true, true fan of the Red Sox. But they ultimately fail to the Yankees over and over again. The Yankees are the great evil of the sports world. They are the team who over and over and over and over again beats the Red Sox when it counts the most. They have the most money. They are ruled (with an iron fist) by a self-serving madman who threatens his subjects with job termination should they lose! And their fans love to see them beat the Red Sox, a team who has been down for decades, kept there by the Yankees. Their fans love to see them kick those who are down. The kid who just wants to believe in the power of his dreams is being kicked over and over and over and over again and the crowd fucking loves it! This is a sick sick world. How can I believe in justice and love as the natural human inclination when I am a Red Sox fan? I'm not really blaming the Yankees, even though I desperately hate them. I'm just saying that this is the way it is. The curse of the Bambino is the curse of the fall.

Maybe in Heaven I will see the Red Sox beat the Yankees to the World Series, but while I'm on this world, I won't hold my breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home