Sunday, May 15, 2005

I failed.


It was me against me, as usual. And I failed.

I am not the Ozark Poetry Slam Champion. And I did not lose because there was someone better than me. I could have handled that. I lost because I made a stupid mistake when I should have known better. I slammed my heart out like a badass mofo, but a 2 point deduction, because I did something STUPID!!!, in the final round, lost it for me.

I placed fifth. Doug gave me third. I owe him for that.

I would have tied for first, and she and I would have had a Haiku-off tie-breaker. . . . I could have handled that.

And it was in the wake of that self-defeat, and with 1.5 hours of sleep, that I faced today.

My beloved wife now has a masters degree in English from U of A. And her family couldn't give a shit. It makes me furious. She alone is worth more than all of them. At least MY family appreciates her, and knows how to love her. She is ours, now. And I am truly, truly proud of her.

Then I ditched my friends tonight. Again - a failure. But, I feel like I'm on the verge of an emotional breakdown. You see, I was half-catatonic this afternoon (could only move half my body, repeated the sames phrases over and over - my mind unwilling to move at the shock of . . . of what I percieved to be financial doom laying at my feet) and barely functional this evening. This was my worst panic attack in years, and one unlike any other. . . . Heather deserves better. So do my friends.

After forcing myself to do what could be done among the shards of Tigger's wrath (poor Tigger - he should NOT have been left inside the house and alone for 9 HOURS after a full night's rest!), I layed down, and I could barely move. Music helped; the heavy stuff - with powerfull riffs and sweet breakdowns - cutting through my numbness. I layed there and begain to think in straight lines again, replacing the frozen-brain mantras with a piecemeal confession to God. I told God what he already knows, as usual (it is for our sake that we say it), and what he has heard from me a hundred times before. I told Him that I am a failure. That there is no good in me that cannot be undermined in a second by my own stupidity, by my own chemical flaws. (Last night, the feeling that came over me when I realized I had caused myself to lose the slam was one of the most familiar feelings I know! All I could think was, " not again.") And then I said something that I don't believe I can ever say, and mean it, in a non-psychotic-episode frame of mind. I said I don't want to be special! ...I don't want to be good at something. I don't want to be looked-up-to. ...Or looked-at! I am truly no more than filthy rags - a peice of shit at His feet.

I said I don't want to be special. Because it is all a fool's hope!

I told him that I don't want to be special (and I'm repeating it over and over again right now because I may not ever say it again aloud), because I can't be special! I am unable. Dis-abled.

BUT, I said I believe that He is God of everything - even a piece of shit, even a failure. And so what I ask, what I beg, is all I CAN ask, all I can EVER ask. It is this: ...to be USED. I asked him to forget the special, forget the good, forget the glory, the praise, and every other credit that I long to have ascribed to me, and just simply USE ME!

Then I will at least mean something. Then I will not fail.


The "truth" of this may be covered in holes. It may lose, in translation, all practical application to your life. But I'm talking about having a massive panic attack, a half-frozen brain. And I'm trying to distill and communicate where my mind went and what it came back with.

I don't know where to go from here. Well, I probably do, but I can't make words of it right now. Perhaps, for now, I'll just go to sleep.

1 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Blogger special k said...

we are made in His image, are we not? therefore, I offer this piece to ponder: He is the ultimate creator; we long to create. He is the ultimate writer; we long to write. He created oceans and solar systems and mountains and ants; we long to create as He created and continues to create. He created us...He wants our love and praise and worship... and BULLSHIT that you're not special. you are an amazing creature. you have been created by HIM! the ULTIMATE CREATOR! He created LIFE. and He is constantly seeking the praise and recognition and worship that is due Him. Therefore, I assert that it is only NATURAL for us to crave recognition, for someone to realize how special and wonderful we are; we are fearfully and wonderfully made. yeah, we WERE pieces of shit. but not any longer. we can fall on our faces day after day and come crawling back minute after minute. but DAMMIT SCOTTY you are SPECIAL. and you have not failed. each breath you take every morning or evening or afternoon when you wake - He has given you, and he has created you...AND GOD DOES NOT CREATE FAILURES. especially not someone as dear to me as you. I love you, Scotty dear. take care, and, email me soon. xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home