Sunday, June 26, 2005

I think I need a pre-cornerstone post. This is because I always have a very long post-cornerstone post and I'd like to give it some build-up this time.

My bipolar has been generally better, although I'm still snappish and bitchy. However, at the moment I'm acting as if I were not on any medication. I'm very much in a manic state, which I think is needed to prepare for C-Stone. I just hope a depressive state doesn't hit while I'm there. If one does, Heather won't arrive until Friday to help me through it. I get there Tuesday.

I'll be meeting-up with my friend from JBU, Ben Immink. A few other JBU grads may show-up, too, but they will be his friends, not really mine.

Since I have an Earliest Access ticket, and since I plan to arrive and get in line REALLY early (especially if I'm manic), I think, I hope, I'll get in soon enough to grab a sweet spot with shade and good access to the Johnnies and other campsite perks. I also hope that the C-Stone HyVee store is open so I can replenish the ice in the cooler.


Shows I WILL NOT miss unless there is a tornado AND an earthquake:

The Myriad - Their new album is amazing. Their show last year was solid, and I think they could have only gotten better.

Emery - They were, hands down, the best show I saw last year, plus their album topped my best of 2004 list (see mid-march post). I may throw my voice out at this one.

Slow Coming Day - I am desperate for them to come out with a new album. They MUST have new material and I NEED to hear it.

MeWithoutYou - They are not always good on a big stage, but this year I plan to get real close or die trying. Plus, now I'll know all of the new songs. Last time I saw them, I did not.

Project 86 - no explanation necessary.

Mute Math - I've heard their live show kicks the album's ass. If that's truly the case, I may orgasm.

Brandtson - They are always outstanding and their last album was their best. This year they have an hour+ long set. After 7 CD's it's about damn time!

The Evan Anthem - Their first album broke my heart (in a good, emorock way) two years after it came out. A new CD is due in July. There's really no question of orgasming at this one - I'll have extra shorts along.

Still Remains - They were great last year with mediocre material. The new album has rocked my world for almost two months. There will be gallons of sweat.

Symphony in Peril - The new album could have been better (seemed like either they rushed some of the writing, or one of their songwriters sucks), but it's still pretty good. And, suddenly, they now have the vocalist from Narcissus, which changes everything!

The Showdown - Think Tourniquet meets Living Sacrifice, and be in awe. Bruce Fitzhugh of LS even produced their CD.


Shows I will probably miss due to conflicts and really wish I could see:

Disciple - No, really. Sure, they always put on a great show, but they've finally put out an album with good, fresh, progressive material. It's like they woke up and said, "Hey, this time lets not write the same old crap that we've been rehashing for years."

As I Lay Dying or Ballydowse(reunion show) - A hideous conflict. I still haven't made a descision on this one yet. Either way, I'll feel guilty about missing the one I didn't choose.

The Violet Burning - If I were 35, I would SO be there.

Anam Cara - Their stuff sounds VERY good, but I haven't heard enough, and I don't know the quality of their live show.

Life in Your Way or Nodes of Ranvier - It will all depend on how I feel at the moment, but again, I'll probably feel bad about the one I missed (and it'll probably be Life in Your Way).

Andy Hunter midnight rave at the Main Stage - I can't believe I'm going to miss this. The C-Stone schedualers are EVIL!

Starflyer 59 - Some day. Some day.

Bill Mallonee or Anberlin - It depends on how Heather feels. We got to see half of Bill Mallonee's set last year. He played some old stuff, including Welcome to Struggleville and even Love Cocoon! If we do Anberlin, I'll just have to hold on to that memory for this year.

Extol - The new stuff sounds more up my alley, not as left-brain-technic-thrash, but Headnoise is a much better show.

Over the Rhine - Again, if I were 35 I would SO be there.


Bands I don't know well and look forward to seeing/hearing for the first time:

Children 18:3

Twelve Gauge Valentine

The Lester Finn Experiment

Flyleaf

The Mint (may not make it if I get sucked into Dead Poetic)

Foreknown

Mortal Treason

Adelaide


Seminars that look good this year (tip of the iceberg really, some are 1 session, some are 6):

Beyond Absolutism, Pluralism, and Relativism - Brian McLaren

Fall in Love and Never Get Up - Tina Herrin

How To Author - Get Published Now - Dave Davidson

Craft and the Writing Process: A Writer's Alchemy - Jill Alexander Essbaum

Writing Through No - Sharon Hersh

Moo Hoo Ha Ha: The Evil Genius of Consumer Culture - Lint Hatcher

The Women's Voice in Song of Solomon - Chelsea Dearamond

A Male Feminist: Self-Hatred or Biblical Ideal? - Jason Van Schooneveld

Why I'm Egalitarian - Tim Vanderpool (as a Complimentarian, I hope to find this challenging)

Rethinking this Thing Called Church: The Emerging Church in the Postmodern World - Brad Culver

Dealing with the Spiritual Darkness in the Subcultures - Trevor Macpherson

. . .

Yeah. That's enough for now. Tomorrow, I have to clean out my parents' garage and see what they've got. Then I'll probably need to go shopping.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger special k said...

SCOTTY!!! YELLOW SECOND http://www.yellowsecond.com and http://www.myspace.com/yellowsecond

07.01.05 - Bushnell, IL - Cornerstone - 9:45pm

is also going to be at CS!!! I wish I could go!!! Alas, I'll be working. YS is awesome! not to mention Josh Hemingway (guitar/backing vocals) is my cousin's roommate! (or was) (dunno if they still live in the same house in denver) Anyway, I hope you get to see them, and if you do, hang out and tell them that dan's cousin korinne says hi! :-D

have fun scotty!!! :)


beamin love,

-k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home